Box office top 10 – W/E 05/01/15
The first box office of 2015 has given us a bumper crop of movies, so much so only two films failed to take more than £1 million.
Sitting on top of the chart was a new entry in the form of the Stephen Hawkings drama The Theory of Everything. Other new entries in the top 10 went to strange comedy drama Birdman at number seven and horror sequel The Woman in Black: Angel of Death at number four.
Upcoming – we are deep in awards territory season however that doesn’t mean we can’t have a dose of dumb action moiveness, on offer this week is intriguing wrestling drama Foxcatcher, Disney adventure Into the Woods and third and hopefully final film in the Taken series with Tak3n.
10. Penguins of Madagascar – £629,774 – £7,110,994
9. Dumb and Dumber To – £752.738 -£5,540,013
8. Annie – £1,347,598 – £5,373,045
7. Birdman – (NE) – £1,524,667
6. Exodus: Gods and Kings – £1,575,131 – £6,362,743
5. Night at hte Museum: Secret of the Tombs – £1,736,233 – £9,694,189
4. The Woman in Black: Angel of Death – (NE) – £2,431,823
3. Paddington – £2,843,003 – £30,818,050
2. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies – £3,246,845 – £36,748,786
1. The Theory of Everything – (NE) – £3,749,293
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies managed to hold on to the top spot for another week with only one new film making it’s way into the top five, that film was horror sequel The Woman in Black: Angel of Death.
The overall takings for 2014 in the US were released this week as well and it saw the biggest decline in ticket sales in over 24 years, the film that was crowned the highest grossing movie of the year was Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy followed by Mockingjay part 1 at number two and Captain America the Winter Soldier at number three.
5. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tombs
4. The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death – (NE)
2. Into the Woods.
1. The Hobbit: the Battle of the Five Armies