Box Office top 10 – W/E 23/03/15
The reign of the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel has finally come to a end with the film being knokced off the top of the chart after spend a healthy three weeks there, the film in question that has managed this feat is the latest animated adventure from Dreamworks, Home.
Not only did Home manage to find it’s way to the number one spot but it had the biggest opening of any animated film since the Lego Movie in February 2014.
Other new entries in this weeks top 10 went to the second in the Divergent series with Insurgent which went in at number two and took 44% more than the first film did in it’s opening weekend, The Gunman the latest film to star Sean Penn didn’t do as well as it could only manage the number five spot taking a average of £1,015 per screen however it did much better than Wild Card, the latest film to star Jason Statham only just made it’s way into the chart going in at a low number 10 with a very low average of £664 per screen.
Upcoming – With the kid’s heading for their Easter break it seems that the distributors are ramping up a lot of their family friendly films with two big hitter out this week in the form of Disney live action version of Cinderella and Spongbob Movie: Sponge out of Water.
Other new films out this week include the fantasy action film The Seventh Son, Sci-Fi with The Signal and British Sci-Fi action film Robot Overlords.
10. Wild Card, £152,034 from 229 sites (new)
9. Fifty Shades of Grey, £235,681 from 332 sites. Total: £34,395,106
8. Still Alice, £257,016 from 234 sites. Total: £1,698,527
7. Suite Française, £268,607 from 446 sites. Total: £1,293,408
6. Run All Night, £348,638 from 429 sites. Total: £1,680,666
5. The Gunman, £405,934 from 400 sites (new)
4. Focus, £490,317 from 364 sites. Total: £6,527,072
3. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, £671,088 from 518 sites. Total: £13,413,705
2. The Divergent Series: Insurgent, £2,938,860 from 497 sites (new)
1. Home, £6,025,917 from 531 sites (new)
US top 5
Over in the US Disney Cinderella could only hold on to the top spot for just one week as Insurgent managed to knock it off the top spot in it’s opening weekend taking just over $52 million.
The only other new entry in the top five went to the Sean Penn thriller The Gunman which went in at number four and did slight better over in the US than it did in the UK.
5. Kingsman: The Secret Service.
4. The Gunman – (NE)
3. Run All Night
1. The Divergent series: Insurgent – (NE)