This weeks chart (W/E 13/07/15)
It was a smackdown with this weeks chart between those lovable yellow creatures, The Minions and foul mouthed teddy bear Ted, it was the Minions however that came out on top by holding on to the number one spot for a second week.
That said though Ted 2 put up a really big fight coming in second place and debuting with just under £4 million.
Other new entries in this weeks chart included beautiful animated adventure with Song of the Sea going in at number 10 and musical drama Love and Mercy hitting the number nine spot.
One other thing to note about this weeks chart, for the first time in chart history one studio had a film in the number one, two and three spot, that studio in question was Universal. Not only however does Universal become the first studio to have three films in the top three positions it becomes the first studio to have four films open with £10 million plus and when the Minions pass the £30 million mark it will become the first studio to have 4 films pass £30 million in a calendar year.
Upcoming – A bit of a big week when it comes to new release as there is something for everybody, so if you after something new then you have the latest film from Marvel with Ant-Man, Tarsem Singh’s latest film with Sci-Fi thriller Self/Less, drama with True Story and shaky cam horror film The Gallows.
10. Song of the Sea, £72,172 from 103 sites (new)
9. Love & Mercy, £105,718 from 128 sites (new)
8. Spy, £176,401 from 258 sites. Total: £9,654,086
7. Secret Cinema: The Empire Strikes Back, £287,225 from one site. Total: £2,187,290
6. Amy, £416,627 from 214 sites. Total: £1,310,432
5. Magic Mike XXL, £954,766 from 485 sites. Total: £3,998,010
4. Terminator: Genisys, £1,670,491 from 542 sites. Total: £7,313,858
3. Jurassic World, £1,853,867 from 546 sites. Total: £57,158,664
2. Ted 2, £3,867,723 from 549 sites (new)
1. Minions, £4,154,359 from 605 sites. Total: £27,623,294
This weeks US chart finally has a new number one in the form of the Minions, the film knocked the reigning champion off the top spot by some margin with the gap being nearly $100 million.
One other new film entered this weeks top five in the form of horror film The Gallows which went in at number five.
5. The Gallows (NE)
4. Terminator Genisys
3. Inside Out
1. Minions (NE)