What a interesting year it has been when it comes to the world of films, not only have i been a little bit more impressed with the world of the super heroes but French cinema has shown what it can produce. Yes we have had some really stinkers released this year however this list will only concentrate on the cream of the crop, the best films that cinema has to offer and unlike last year my top 10 films wrote themselves this year.
So here is my top 10 films of the year and there might be one or two surprises in the list so please don’t shout at me.
It was inevitable that the Sweeney would only spend one week at the top of the chart and that fact has come true however no new entry could knock it off the top spot it was in fact Paranorman which rose like a zombie to munch on the chart’s brains and take the top spot.
3 new films graced this weeks top 10, first off going in at a very low 10th spot was Oliver Stones latest violent thriller Savages, into the top 3 and we see a new entry at number 3 for horror film House at the End of the Street. The highest new entry this week went to violent thriller with a hint of comedy, Kill them Softly starring Brad Pitt.
10. Savages – (NE) – £379.898
9. Dredd 3D – £382.359 – £3.696.772
8. Lawless – £413.652 – £3.539.610
7. Brave – £468.182 – £20.714.530
6. Anna Karenina – £509.196 – £3.942.747
5. Hope Springs – £625.201 – £2.048.177
4. The Sweeney – £727.742 – £2.984.390
3. House at the End of the Street – (NE) – £796.041
2. Killing Them Softly – (NE) – £955.506
1. Paranorman – £1.219.194 – £2.949.595
New Releases – 3 new films of note are out this week trying to part you from your cash, first off is comedy film starring Will Ferell and Zach Galifianakis in the Campaign, your next choice is mind bending thriller starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis in Looper and the 5th in the Resident Evil series with Resident Evil: Retribution.
What a interesting week when it comes to this weeks top 10, last weeks number one Resident Evil: Retribution couldn’t hold on to the number 1 spot for more than a week as it has been knocked off by one of this weeks new entries.
4 new films entered this weeks top 10, first off going in at a lower than expected number 6 spot was the latest version of judge dredd in Dredd 3D, hitting the number 3 spot was drama starring Clint Eastwood in Trouble with the Curve. Now this is where things get interesting as 2 films grossed the same amount money however it was takings per screen that separated them both, so at number 2 was House at the end of the street and it was crime thriller End of Watch that stole the top spot.
10. Paranorman – $2.297.000 – $52.566.000
9. Lawless – $2.321.000 – $34.512.000
8. The Possession – $2.630.000 – $45.650.000
7. The Master – $5.000.000 – $6.059.000
6. Dredd 3D – (NE) – $6.300.000
5. Resident Evil: Retribution – $6.700.000 – $33.468.000
4. Finding Nemo – $9.446.000 – $29.979.000
3. Trouble with the Curve – (NE) – $12.720.000
2. House at the end of the Street – (NE) – $13.000.000
1. End of Watch – (NE) – $13.000.000
New Releases – Only 2 new films will be trying to get into the top 10 however there is also one film that is getting a really surprising release. Your first choice of the week is mind bending Sci-Fi thriller Looper starring man of the moment Joseph Gordon-Levitt, your other choice of the week is animated film Hotel Transylvania. On to the strange release of the week, the US finally gets Solomon Kane which was released in the UK in February 2010.
Poor Dredd he couldn’t hold on to the top spot for more than a week with one of this weeks new entries taking it’s place.
A total of 3 new films graced the top 10, first off going in at number 6 was comedy drama Hope Springs starring Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, going in to the number 2 spot was animated kids horror film Paranorman. This weeks highest new entry and new number 1 went to The Sweeney this time starring Ray Winstone and Ben Drew aka Plan B.
10. Ted – £317.035 – £29.847.210
9. The Possession – £346.642 – £2.856.003
8. Total Recall – £472.232 – £4.918.739
7. Brave – £584.321 – £20.138.592
6. Hope Springs – (NE) – £728.689
5. Dredd 3D – £769.381 – £2.725.180
4. Lawless – £790.378 – £2.575.336
3. Anna Karenina – £813.395 – £2.731.426
2. Paranorman – (NE) – £1.393.123
1. The Sweeney – (NE) – £1.545.294
New Releases – A lot of new films out this week, first off is Oliver Stone’s Savages starring Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Johnson amongst a few, your next choice is drama/thriller Killing Them Softly starring Brad Pitt, also on offer is horror film House at the End of the Street, small British thriller Tower Block and comedy/drama Hysteria.
Two weeks seemed to be enough for the Possession, in fact in my opinion one week was enough for the film, well now it has been knocked off the top spot by one of this weeks new entries.
Only 2 new films cracked this weeks top 10 however both of them took up the top two spots, first off going in at the number 2 spot was the 3D re-release of Finding Nemo. The highest new entry this week however went to the 5th Resident Evil film with Resident Evil: Retribution which went straight into the number 1 spot.
10. The Campaign – $2.405.000 – $82.857.000
9. The Odd Life of Timothy Green – $2.511.000 – $46.284.000
8. The Bourne Legacy – $2.875.000 – $107.817.000
7. The Words – $2.880.000 – $9.160.000
6. Expendables 2 – $3.030.000 – $80.290.000
5. Paranorman – $3.039.000 – $49.336.000
4. Lawless – $4.219.000 – $30.141.000
3. The Possession – $5.800.000 – $41.167.000
2. Finding Nemo 3D – (NE) – $17.504.000
1. Resident Evil: Retribution – (NE) – $21.100.000
New Release – 3 new films will be trying to take your money off this week, first off is crime drama starring Jake Gyllenhaal in End of Watch, your next film of choice is horror film starring The Hunger Games Jennifer Lawrence in House at the end of the Street, your final choice of the week is 2nd bite of the cherry in the Dredd series with Dredd 3D.
Last week’s number 1 Total Recall could only hold on to the top spot for 1 week with one of this weeks new entries taking it’s crown despite the box office not being set a light.
3 new films entered this weeks top 10, first off going in at number 3 is the latest version of Tolstoy Anna Karenina, doing better by hitting the number 2 spot was Lawless starring Tom Hardy and Shia LaBeouf. The highest new entry this week went to Dredd 3D which went in at number 1 making it the first 18 rated film to hit the top spot since Saw 3D managed to do that feat back in October 2010.
10. The Bourne Legacy – £270.180 – £10.569.592
9. The Watch – £338.184 – £3.162.291
8. The Dark Knight Rises – £352.587 – £55.312.954
7. Ted – £479.943 – £29.191.321
6. The Possession – £533.334 – £2.150.064
5. Brave – £649.057 – £19.344.823
4. Total Recall – £675.280 – £4.075.574
3. Anna Karenina – (NE) – £875.702
2. Lawless – (NE) – £973.234
1. Dredd 3D – (NE) – £1.049.345
New Releases – There are a lot of films out this week but only 3 of them stand out, first off is the big screen debut of 80’s TV cop drama The Sweeney, your next choice is animated film that seem’s to be getting good reviews is Paranorman in 2 and 3D, your final choice is the latest film starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Premium Rush.
Coming up on this weeks show, in the cinema section we review the latest comic book adaptation, this time set in a harsh future where Karl Urban is the law in Dredd 3D and Tom Hardy and Shia Labeouf lead an all star cast including Gary Oldman, Guy Pierce and Jessica Chastain in bootleg thriller Lawless. On DVD & Blu-Ray we join Jim, Michelle, Oz, Kevin, Vicky, Heather, Finch and Stiffler for their American Pie: Reunion, Jason Statham takes on all the mob in New York to protect a young girl in Safe, we set sail in Aardman Animation’s latest adventure and join The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists!, Henry Cavill finds himself out in The Cold Light Of Day and Ray Winstone finds himself holding The Hot Potato, plus as usual our look at the latest movie news and the UK Box Office and Blu-Ray/DVD top 10′s.
Join us live from 7:30 pm (GMT) on Monday 10th September on our Spreaker page or the Spreaker app (which you can download free from the Apple app store/Android marketplace and find us on by just searching for The Monday Movie Show). Don’t forget you can also catch up with any episode of the show on iTunes, Spreaker or now you can find us on Youtube, just search for Monday Movie Show.
Last weeks number 1 Brave has finally been knocked off the top spot after spending 2 weeks perched on high, it has been replaced with one of this weeks new entries.
Three new films broke there way into this weeks top 10, first off going in at number 5 and trying to scare people was supernatural horror film The Possession. This weeks second highest new entry went to The Watch which went in at number 2 despite it having at least 2 extra day’s of takings over the number 1 film. Speaking of number 1 film the highest new entry went to the latest film to be remade in the form of Total Recall.
10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days – £287.969 – £7.086.728
9. Keith Lemon: The Film – £370.735 – £2.531.902
8. The Expendables 2 – £376.319 – £5.546.276
7. The Bourne Legacy – £714.020 – £9.895.086
6. Dark Knight Rises – £759.838 – £54.535.548
5. The Possession – (NE) – £979.192
4. Ted – £990.842 – £28.122.651
3. Brave – £1.604.163 – £17.940.622
2. The Watch – (NE) – £2.235.933
1. Total Recall – (NE) – £2.493.230
New Releases – With the children back at school this weeks batch of new entries have a very adult theme to them, first off is drama/thriller starring Tom Hardy, Lawless, your next film of choice is comedy film starring one of our favourite comedians Adam Sandler (only joking) in That’s My Boy. Your next film choice is another version of Anna Karenina this time starring Keira Knightley, the biggest release of the week though is the return of the Judge in Dredd 3D.